Monday 13 September 2010

Sandleigh's Civilities

Tasty eats to be had in Croyde (at long last) just to the top right of the picture .... so bon appetit!


At last somewhere to eat in North Devon that combines wholesome, home-baked food with a difference. You either enter this charming cafe via their over populated vegetable garden, or directly off the road opposite the beach entrance. The cafe is cosy, a little cramped for space for some, for others, its intimate. Crusty chunks of bread accompanies the home-made soups, the sandwiches are cut from doorstops, the coffee is as strong as a Croyde surf break.....and service with a pretty smile....you can bet I'll be going back there.

We need more places to eat like this in North Devon....yum...yum....it has always amazed me that the eateries rarely match the landscape they feature in. Here Baggy Point may have met his match! Oh yes, when I visit Baggy and see the plaque commemorating Henry Williamson whose prose was inspired by this headland, I am always reminded that it was his book The Pathway that drew me first to Croyde, Crow Point and the Land of the Two Rivers....it was also my grandmother's tales of Henry who she knew as a neighbour in Kent that first drew me to this corner of Devon...Thanks Henry...

No comments:

Post a Comment